Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Things I ate in China

This is a list from my jeornal. It's been growing as the trip goes on.

Pig skin - Kinda looks like half-inch-thick slices of glass. Tastless. Very hard to pick up with chopsticks.

Fish balls - Not fish testicals. Don't worry. Like meat balls but with fish meat. Very tasty.

Prawn eyeballs - I wasn't really supposed to eat them but I just picked them off. They were delicious.

Seaweed - Really good. Esspecially with oil and a bit of salt.

Milk tea - can be okay or really good. The gooey balls at the bottom are a little strange at first.

Green tea ice cream - Not horrible, but not good either. Bleah.

Green tea pumpkin seeds - Icky!

Green tea latté - good and gross at the same time.

Squid - pretty good, takes a while to chew though.

Kimchi - bleah. Spicy and rater untasty

Pickled raddish - like kimchi, but tasty.

Seaweed soup - good if you get past the "I'm drinking a tide-pool" thoughts.
 
Octopus balls - Once again.  Not male parts of an octopus but rather dough balls with parts of an octopus inside.  So yummy.
 
Octopus - the tenticles have a weird texture with the little plunger things.  And they're purple and look like they could just wiggle right off your plate.  But after you get past that, and have the patience to chew something for a long time, they're great.
 
Chicken feet - I never planned to eat this.  Never.  One of the toes were broken off so I only saw these nice-looking, long orange things with crispy orange-chicken like fried stuff.  But I put it in my mouth and there were toes bones.  So I spit them out and realized what was really in my mouth.  It was disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment