Saturday, October 9, 2010

Me in a wheelbarrow

So sometimes during worship we've been asked to close our eyes and try to imagine how much God loves us. One of my roomates got this image of God just running up to her and twirling her around a field, another person just pictured how someday she was just going to sit on God's lap and just feel completely safe.

But today as we were singing "How He Loves Us" by David Crowder, (which is one of my favorite songs ever, it almost makes me cry!) God just gave me this really vivid picture of him pushing me up a hill in a wheelbarrow. I bet this sounds pretty strange so let me explain.

When I was realy little I remember being out in the yard with my mom and dad when they were doing yardwork, and if I was lucky I'd get to ride in a wheelbarrow. I bet all kids have probably done this at one point or another. You get in and lean back and your mom or dad takes the handles and pushes you around. I remembered how even though I loved wheelbarrow rides I'd also get scared. Because as I sat in the wheelbarrow looking forward I couldn't see my dad, and what if he accidentally dropped the handles! Our yard felt so bumpy and I worried about falling out, even though in reality it wasn't likely.

And I was just thinking how our walk with God is a lot like that. I'm just sitting in this wheelbarrow, going over all these bumps. Just like I couldn't see my dad push me from behind as a little girl, likewise I can't always see God. I don't know where's He's going to take me. Sometimes the wheelbarrow feels really tippy and shakey, and I worry as God's just pushing me up this hill, what if I go over a bump to big and the handles slip from His hands?

And I realized how silly I was to not trust that God is plenty strong enough to handle it, no matter how steep the hill or bumpy the terain. Just as it was silly for me to not fully trust my mom and dad to not drop the wheelbarrow, it's even more silly still to think the God of the whole universe can't push me and all the little weeds in my life with ease.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your wheelbarrow experience - that was very touching! Oh and what you said is so true: And I realized how silly I was to not trust that God is plenty strong enough to handle it, no matter how steep the hill or bumpy the terain. Just as it was silly for me to not fully trust my mom and dad to not drop the wheelbarrow, it's even more silly still to think the God of the whole universe can't push me and all the little weeds in my life with ease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome ... God is that big :) and O how He loves us!
    Thanks Amanda
    Billie

    ReplyDelete