Friday, October 1, 2010

Quick update

Hey, I don't have long on this computer, but I want to give everyone a quick update of what's going on. I arrived yesterday, and the plane ride was pretty easy. I sat next to a lady with a really annoying laugh (just imagine somebody going "huh, huh, huhuh, huh," in a naselly voice and that's her), but everything else was just fine. I was super tired though. I had only been able to get two hours of sleep before leaving. I arrived and got to my room, which is pretty nice. It has a little bathroom with a shower and a toilet, (we had to steal some toilet paper from one of the public bathrooms) and a sink outside. The two Holland girls say they saw a cockroach about four inches long in the shower when they first came. I only saw one cockroach so far though, and it was pretty little. There's also a bunch of teeeeeny tiny ants all over, which I guess I don't mind, and a bunch of gnats that like to sit all over my bed, which is kind of a pain. Because when I was trying to sleep last night they kept trying to crawl on me.

Mostly yesterday I unpacked, met some people, and walked in a daze. I took two showers because it's so hot. Cold water has never felt so nice! The dinner was pretty good. Salmon pasta or something of the sort. There's so many different accents here. It seems like there's more Asians here then there are white people. There's a Korean transolater that transolates everything, and there's Korean characters below englich words on the worship slides. It's kinda cool.

I have seven roomates. One's from California, one's from Australia, Two are from Holland, one's from Afghanistan, and one's from the UK. We have another one coming, but all the staff can't get ahold of her. I hope she's okay.

I went downtown last night with some people and got some shaved ice. There's 100 flavors, andf some of them have really crazy names like "tigers blood" or "suicide" or "Palm Tree Breeze". They want to get through every single one before the three months is up.

This morning breakfast was at 6:15, but it wassn't so bad because it still feels like 9:15 to me. Then we met around this huge fountain and took our shoes off (we seem to take our shoes off for everything here, for worship, for prayer, for meetings, etc.), then we fallowed some native hawaiian people to this huge outdoor place where they sang for us and stuff. THen we had to put our arms around eachother and pray together. Everybody was kinda swaying side to side and it totally reminded me of that scene from Avatar where all the blue people link arms under that tree. It was a little funky. Then they tought us some Hawaiian words and stuff, and then they told us we should take the person beside uis and do this thing where we press our foreheads and noses together and breathe in sharply. It's called doing a "honnee" or something and it's supposed to symbolize sharing breathe and life I think. I was way to shy to do that and so was 99% of everybody else. You're like an inch from the person's face! Plus I was sitting in between two boys. Awkward!

Then we all worshiped and that was pretty cool. They were two songs I've never heard before and everybody really gets into it and sings so loud here. It's amazing. I don't think I've ever been in the middle of so many people that are fired up about God's love.

Oh, I saw a mangoose! And a gecko. And a big banana spider. I'll post pictures once I get the camera wire and laptop recharger. I forgot it my mom sent it but it'll be a few days.

Anyway gotta go now, it's almost lunch. Keep praying for me, I love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is quite the international room situation! Must be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Amanda! Lots of new and exciting things for you - never a dull moment:)

    ReplyDelete